Thursday, February 28, 2008

Some things

One - the rickrolling continues unabated in our office. People have been embedding video files everywhere they can. Today, a graphic came through our office. It's a pie chart about what Rick Astley would never do. The graphic was funny but pretty lame. I cleaned it up in Excel 2007, and I am going to share it with you.



Two - I came across this in my sociology reading. It seemed appropriate to all of the talk about meta-physical vs. positivistic. "The kind of instrumental reasoning or rationality that is associated with science is oriented only toward control and exploitation, whether the subject is the atom or human beings. Science is thus intrinsically oppressive, and a different kind of perspective is needed to create knowledge about people."

Three - I thought Jon Stewart's 2004 commencement address at William and Mary was good from start to finish. But there is one line that I thought was so true and so relevant. "Love what you do. Get good at it. Competence is a rare commodity in this day and age."

No comments: