Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Further examination

From my high school graduation until about 4 years ago, I was waiting for a thunderbolt. For whatever reasons (20something entitlement, general arrogance) I thought my future would be handed to me on a plate. I had talent and smarts. I assumed that I just had to hang around, sing in my car with my windows down, and that I was pretty much guaranteed to be discovered and score, at the very least, a moderately lucrative gig singing advertisement jingles. My belief in fate had made me complacent. So, while I was hanging around waiting to become 1 in 10 million, I just worked, partied, and slept in late. I genuinely assumed my reward was eminent.

At that time, since I wasn’t going to school or doing anything redeeming with my life, I drank a lot of Vodka and watched a lot of TV, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I had been suffering some occupational malaise, and I felt like I needed a new direction (or just a direction). I was beginning to realize that rockstar probably wasn’t going to happen. I had a dream one night, and Giles from BtVS was in it. Eureka! I knew the very next morning that I wanted to be a librarian. So, I was 25, had one semester of college (and was still technically on academic probation) and knew nothing about how to be a librarian. I didn’t know what type of schooling that was involved or the amount of work it would be. I thought you just sent in box tops or something. So, I went about everything the wrong way, again, and kept waiting for the miracle. Basically, I traded one nowhere job for another, except for less money and fewer benefits. There was, for my first 6 months at the library, no progress. I was still idle and at the mercy of my destiny.

It was somewhere in this mess that I started to realize that there would be work, a lot of it. There would be choices and challenges and uncomfortable situations to get where I needed to be. I wasn’t going to just become a librarian anymore than I was going to just become a unicorn. This is where I started to evolve from meta-physical to positivistic in my thinking. For the first time, I realized that I had to put something out there if I expected something back. It is a simple idea, but one that I failed to grasp for the first 25 years of my existence. I enrolled in school and actually had a plan.

And that was it. I got a new job, completed my associate’s degree and started my bachelor’s. I have plans for graduate school and a path for my life. Not to be cliché, but I am the mistress of my own destiny.

As a teenager, 13 or 14, I read the word fatalistic and associated it, incorrectly, with fatal/fatality. I thought fatalistic meant preoccupied with death. Later, I learned the correct meaning of the word, but looking back at how much of my life I gave to my rampant fatalism, I’m not sure my original definition was that far off. Now, I am regressing to the meta-physical but in a smarter way. I want to return a little bit of my free will, but not all of it. I want to be smart and savvy but also hopeful. I also want to feel like my movements in the universe do matter. That there is something to the idea of human connectedness. I really like the liberty mutual “good deed” commercials for exactly that reason. I like knowing that a small gesture can change the world.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate how much I love those commercials. I love the music, too, especially in the first one -- 'I am holding half an acre, torn from a map of Michigan..." It's Hem, and that one is off of Rabbit Songs (not sure which album the other song is on, but Rabbit Songs is worthwhile if you like lullabyish sounds).

You're talking about grad school plans in the past tense -- have plans changed?

Nacho Enthusiast said...

I downloaded No Word from Tom about two years ago (according to the properties on the MP3s on my computer) when I heard Radiation Vibe, but I didn't listen to it as much as I should have. I will have to give them another go.

Thanks for catching that past tense. I updated it. When I read back over it, I realized that it sounded defeatist. I was the mistress of my own destiny, but then, I stopped. Sad,sad,sad.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Glad it was just a mistake... This post left me hanging, pondering questions like, "Who is the mistress of her destiny now?" Thanks for clarifying!