Sunday, January 13, 2008

Passive-aggressive ringtones

I can't bring myself to read the real news any more. I go to CNN, and I intend to read about nuclear talks with Iran or Clinton's plan for education reform, but I can't. The news is always bad and it always leads to more bad news and I don't seem to have the strength for it lately. I know what I know about the world from what I glean from the headlines. Instead, I choose to read the wacky headlines and stories from small towns in America. It doesn't pass for real news but oh well.

Today, while ignoring the real news, I found an article on CNN about a guy who was charged with disorderly conduct because he wrote something obscene in the memo line of his check when he paid a parking ticket. I had no idea you could be fined for something like that! I assume that he made some specific reference to the city parking institutions, but it got me thinking about all of the strange things that have been written in the memo lines of my checks. I'm sure sexual favors is at the top of the list, since that was a long standing joke, but I am sure I must have used an obscenity at one point. Hmmm, for the first time in my life, I wish I had boxes of cancelled checks to go through.

As to the rant title, Villi and I were discussing how the easy of recording and transferring ringtones to a phone makes ringtones an untapped form of passive-aggressive office behavior. You can use your ringtones to express displeasure with someone else's ringtones, or food choices, or hygiene habits. I predict big things in this area.

I'm going to take this time to fold some laundry. Happy Sunday everyone!

No comments: