Saturday, January 16, 2010

Project: Veggies

So, the veggie project got off to a slow start as my attempts to find swiss chard at my area grocery stores was a bust. I think this project will be sending me to whole foods, sunflower, or sprouts for my vegetables. I just don't think I will get 52 weeks of variety at king soopers. So, I swapped out brussels sprouts for this week. Learning in the process that brussels sprouts are named after the city of brussels and, therefore, should have the s on the end of brussels, which should be pronouced. It sounds strange to me, but at least I know. I ended up roasting the brussels sprouts with baby red potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. It was very tasty, but I'm looking forward to swiss chard next week.

Last night some folks from work tried to go to Lala's on 7th for happy hour. After 40 minutes of drinking wine standing up, we finally agreed to leave. I consider any happy hour where I get one glass of wine and drink it standing up a failure. Boo to you Lala's.

My pictures of the brussels sprouts turned out awful. Food photography should be done during the day.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Food photography is tough. I have a friend who takes photos of the things she makes, and it is seriously a 30-minute PRE-MEAL ordeal involving a tripod and a lamp. I am just not willing to go to those lengths.

Anyway, I love this project! One thing I've thought of doing is Door-to-Door Organics: http://colorado.doortodoororganics.com/. Once a week they deliver a box of fruits and/or vegetables to you. It's a little pricier than Sunflower, but this week you would have had acorn squash, carrots with tops, cauliflower, green chard, radish, red potatoes, romaine lettuce, and yellow bell peppers delivered to you for $22.66.

Other advice: A Veggie Venture (http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/) has a ton of veggie recipes, too.

Mmmmm, veggies. They are good, but I wish they were as good as cookies. Or wine.

Nacho Enthusiast said...

That is a cool service. I'm going to check it out. Oddly, I'm most impressed by carrots with tops. Some how the inclusion of carrot fronds make everything seem more farmy and local. I'm a sucker for the little things.