Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ignorance is bliss

Although I love school, education does take the magic out of things. I’m working on a paper for my sex and gender class, about gender construction in film. One of the articles I am reading stated: “Popular films such as Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles presented girls as neoconservative adolescents perpetuating images of Daddy’s girl.” I was forced, after reading that, to really think about Samantha Baker and the silliness of placing all your hopes and dreams on a boy. During that movie, no girl succeeded at anything but securing a man (except for Joan Cusack who succeeded in drinking water). Before I went to college, I didn’t really think of things as they related to a post-feminist metaphor. Some days, I just really want Jake Ryan to show up in his Porsche, mouth “yeah you,” and throw me a private birthday party while strains of the Thompson Twins play in the background.

No comments: