Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Movie quote of the day

The starbucks I most often frequent has a series of chalkboards beneath the espresso machines. One chalkboard always has a suggested drink. The other always has the movie quote of the day. So far, they haven't stumped me. Today's quote was "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." This is one of my favorite Dr. Venkman lines. I used to think I was alone in missing the old Bill Murray. I don't always like the new, middle-aged malaise Bill Murray.

I liked this McSweeney's about the new Bill Murray in a sequel to Ghostbusters.

I have this fear that if I go to another starbucks today, they would have the same chalkboard and the same quote. It's that creepy device of big chains to create hollow uniqueness, false authenticity.

Another Douglas Coupland quote.

"Then Michael pointed out that a few years ago there was a minor furor over the ethics of Dairy Queen, who sent their franchisees hamburger patties that were pseudo-randomly shaped, with little bumpies around the patty's edges, so that burger's consumer would feel more as though they were having a "handmade" burger. In this same spirit, one wonders if the Gap randomly assigns nonstandardized clothing items to its various outlets so as to simulate the illusion of regional variety."

No comments: