Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bandana Republic

Yesterday, my hands blackened, I could hardly even write the words. I was devastated. Today, knowing that everything was okay, I feel like I can talk about it. When I went to swap out my purse, my beautiful Burberry, I was transferring my wallet and keys and pens and gasp! An uncapped, black pen! It had leaked black ink all through the satin lining of my precious bag. When I turned the bag over to see if the ink had bled through, I found a light blue paint mark. I actually contemplated calling in sick and weeping. I decided to buck up and try to wash the ink out of the lining. When I left for work yesterday, my purse was upside down and drying. I looked like I had just been fingerprinted. I couldn’t write about it yesterday because I didn’t know how it would turn out. Last night, I came home and the ink stain was completely gone. Then, I clean off the paint with a pencil eraser and everything was fine. I was mightily relieved.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I did that. The pen cap was secured to the top of the pen, so it wasn’t like the cap fell off. I would have had to put the cap on the top of the pen and then thrown it into my purse. That just doesn’t sound like something I would do with my purse. I haven’t ruled out sabotage from neighboring states.

On New Years, I made a resolution not to drink any calories until my birthday. I am very pleased with myself, so far. I had a glass of grape juice when I was sick. I was so strung out on Nyquil and cough syrup and migraine medicines to even realize that grape juice was something I wasn’t supposed to drink. In that mental state, I would have drank battery acid if I had a craving for it. I don’t blame myself. My other small transgression came Sunday night, when we had our lovely friends over for dinner. John and Andrea brought over a 12-pack of Pepsi, and I had a small sip of my sister’s soda. It was fantastic, ambrosia on my tongue. I contemplated tackling Villi around the waist and drinking the rest of it greedily. Then my sanity kicked back in and I realized that I am only 2 ½ weeks away from my goal and it would be a shame to stop now.

School is going pretty well, right now. I am tired and there is a lot of work to do, but I am doing it. In my history of sociological theory class we were talking about late 20th century additions to theory, including post-human. I loved the idea of post human. As a gadget hound and an unabashed blogger, I realize how much interaction and face time I give to my electronic devices. Then I was reading Yella’s blog and saw that she had asked for my birthday wishlist via her blog. I thought, how very post-human. I like it when I can find real world applications for my classes. It makes me feel like I’m not wasting my money on school.

To continue with the idea of talking to the machines, I will present my birthday wishlist to the internet, to be interpreted by humans, if the humans choose.

Always can use bookstore giftcards – I prefer Barnes and Noble or Tattered Cover
Nancy Drew Case Files #17 – Stay Tuned for Danger (it’s the last one to get my collection to case file 50!)
Playing Mona Lisa – On DVD
Toyota Prius All-weather floor mats
I also need this if someone is feeling generous.

End transmission

No comments: