Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I demand satisfaction!

It's finals week, and there are no sexy parties or keggers to take my mind off the stress like there would be if I were living in a John Hughes movie. I had hoped to get some work done at work, but it is looking less and less likely as more and more things pile up on my desk. Added to this stress, we have our party in a few weeks. The party will require much work: cleaning bathrooms, polishing punchbowls, and nogging eggs.

I did have time at work today to get into a fight (to the death) about canceled versus cancelled. Apparently blogger has made its choice as it is asking me to spellcheck cancelled. Bastards! I challenge you to a duel, blogger.

Cancelled is British, as they double the l on any word that ends in l where the emphasis is not on the final syllable. America, in addition to dumping tea in the harbor, slapped England in the face by rejecting this obscure spelling rule. I am betraying my motherland by spelling cancelled with two ls. Rule, Britannia!

The only issue is that if I embrace cancelled, I also have to embrace levelled, travelled, revelled, et al. Hmmm. I don't know what to make of that.

On a completely different note - do the pinkies on gloves seem unnecessarily long to you? My initial thought would be that I have short pinkies, but I distinctly remember my guitar teacher telling me that I had marvelously long pinkies, well suited to playing guitar, so I am sure the problem is not mine.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Note that we dumped tea into the harbor, and not the harbour, even. So there, Britain. I would accept the single l of American English if I could be left alone for spelling judgement with an e in the middle of that clusterfuck of consonants.

Also, I will be offended if your house is too clean.

Nacho Enthusiast said...

I have always considered myself an Anglophile, but I am woefully uninformed about our spelling differences.

I agree with your analysis of the clusterfuck of consonants in judgment. DGM - not in my house. It's like America anticipated Prince by 200 years and started hacking out superfluous vowels.