Monday, October 15, 2007

most of us need the eggs

What a fast, stupid weekend. I had film class from 9-4 both days this weekend. There are worse ways to spend a weekend than watching movies with 60 strangers and then discussing them, but there are better ways, too. It exhausted me, and I was in bed by 10 both Friday and Saturday night. No weekend, no sleep makes Stacy something something.

I know, just from this one weekend class, that online education is inferior in encouraging real learning. When you are worried about being called on or taking a closed book test, you pay attention, you contribute, and you have to learn since you have to focus. If I get rich and learn for learning’s sake, I will go back to a real campus and go to real classes. I enjoyed the lecture. Conversely, I was reminded of the reasons that I prefer to take online classes. Even for a weekend class, there were a lot of people there and many of them were getting on my nerves. Plus, on Saturday, there were like 300 medieval recreationists at the campus for something. It was Christmas in July, or more specifically RenFen in October. These people were hardcore. I saw several pairs of homemade shoes. I have to confess that I fell into an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) group in high school. I was working at a fabric store, and it became known that I played violin. An older woman named Sylvia invited me to join her music group. Turns out, they were a medieval SCA music group. Lute, guitar, harp, violin and singing. I went to two meetings, but then they started talking about my induction and my costume, and my homemade shoes. As a self-respecting teen-ager, I had to get the hell out of there or run the risk of falling in with the adventure game club set.

Strange.

No comments: