Friday, August 24, 2007

Cake for breakfast

One of the things I like best about being a single adult with a chunk of disposable income is that I can decide what I want to buy and when. As a child, you are totally tied to what your parents will do for you; when you are married with children you can't recklessly spend money without that gnawing guilt in the back of your head that says, "in 19 years that purse, with interest, will pay for a half semester of college."

What that means is that if I get a whim to fly a kite (like this weekend) because I have never done it, I can just go buy a kite. Which I might do this weekend. I have never flown a kite. Watching TV last night, I was overcome with the feeling that it might bring me joy.

At some point, I may have to stop indulging in these childlike desires, but for now, off to the toy store.

No comments: