Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Or twice in one night

First, I feel like I'm stealing all of Villi's rant titles, but it's only because we watch all of the same movies and tv shows. Perhaps I should change the title to "The Eskimo Whore Look."

Second, remember all that inherent sexism I was talking about last week? Look at this!



I pulled this out of a costco email I got today and some how the colors got totally jacked, but look. Beneath each of the "grads" is a gift for them. The guy on the left? He gets a mountain bike and a GPS. He's probably taking the summer off, hitting the trails, and communing with nature before he takes that job at his dad's firm. The guy in the middle? He gets a sweet camera, and the picture beside it indicates that he is going to Rome to photograph the Colosseum. He's probably taking the summer abroad to sow his oats before he comes back to the states, marries his high school sweetheart, and spends the rest of his life trying to forget about Paulo and that one incredible night.

And the girl. What does she get for surviving the rigors of academia? Why, she gets earrings. Just what any girl, fresh out of school and looking to make a life for herself needs. Christ, they didn't take her shoes or anything, but what the hell kind of message is this? Prepare the boys for travel and adventure. Prepare the girls for window dressing?

I ain't saying that I don't own jewelry, but with the exception of a Christmas gift from my father, I paid for it all. Jewelry is a nice gift for a birthday or Christmas or an anniversary, when you are really just celebrating an occasion, not an accomplishment. It makes you wonder.

No comments: