Tuesday, March 06, 2007

This all sounds familiar

Just after Hurricane Katrina, when the whole refugee versus evacuee argument was going on, Villi and I got into an argument with this troglodyte in our English class. He was trying to argue that refugee was appropriate because it shared a root meaning with refuge. I countered this argument with the fact that fugitive also shares a root meaning with refuge and so what is your fucking point? The argument went on and on and many arguments were called up and, in turn, smacked down. Finally, after many verbal backhands, the moron dropped the class and was never heard from again.

His logic, which in no way resembles our earth logic, seems to be shared with Ms. Ann Coulter. It took her almost 4 days to respond to the backlash from her 'faggot' comment at the CPAC (really why is anyone surprised or shocked by anything that comes from the mouth of that guttersnipe?). And when she did respond, this was all she could offer - "Faggot isn't offensive to gays; it has nothing to do with gays. It's a schoolyard taunt meaning 'wuss,' and unless you're telling me that John Edwards is gay, it was not applied to a gay person."

I can't think of a less qualified person to speak to what is or is not offensive to gays. This is the same woman that said in the same breath that she doesn't want to discriminate against gays, she just doesn't want them to get married. Clearly Ann Coulter is not exactly enlightened about civil rights, GLBT issues, or anything ever.

And as I told the moron Donald, just because you think refugee doesn't have a negative connotation, doesn't mean the whole world agrees with you. Likewise, Ann, just because you toss this word around all careless like doesn't mean that the word doesn't mean something to others (read:the whole fucking English-speaking world). Perhaps my pet name for my sister is Sucky McFuckrag and maybe when we hear this, we giggle with delight, but people would probably take offense if I started calling her that in public, or in full page ads in the local paper.

Which, by the way, is not a denial of my first amendment rights. The first amendment grants you the right to say what you like, but it doesn't mean it will be consequence free. I have the right to confess to killing a man just to watch him die. If the police decide to arrest me and question me on this, they are not denying me my first amendment rights. That is merely a consequence of my speech. The first amendment doesn't exist in a vacuum; the first amendment merely protects your rights to say something (meaning you can't be silenced) but it doesn't protect you from the fallout. So quit using that fucking argument you moronic, conservative douchebags! (see I get to say that because of the first amendment, but if someone takes offense to that, or asks me to remove it, or threatens to pull non-existent sponsorship, that is their choice and it is in no way protected or enforced by the US government.)

No comments: