Sunday, March 04, 2007

HD makes you smarter

We ordered our HDTV after watching the Super Bowl in HD and realizing it would be great for college basketball, especially the final four (go Hawks!) You get the TV and the picture and sound are amazing. It is truly a wonder of visual technology. But soon, after all the basketball games have ended, you start running through the channels and none of the non-HD programs look good at all. So what do you end up watching? Discovery in HD. Hours of it. It is beautiful to look at and becomes addictive. So, you learn about Powis Castle in Wales and the programs to revitalize the bush in southwestern Australia. You stop watching hours of VH1 celebreality, which you are really happy about and instead look forward to Planet Earth on Discovery (starting in April).

Right now, I have stumbled on the digital galleries that you can play on your HDTV that show nature pictures, or in this case famous paintings. It is the definition of simplicity. Beautiful images of famous paintings, with a momentary description about the painter and the artist, set to a very delicate and beautiful piano piece. I've only been watching for about 20 minutes, but I am pretty sure I could pick a Maurice de Vlaminck painting out of a a lineup. I also enjoy this format because I don't have to put on any airs studying the pictures. I don't have to pretend to be moved or even to understand what I am seeing. I can just look at them and I don't have to offer an opinion. I get to look at them for as long as I want. I can' pause the picture or rewind it and I don't have to worry about the person behind me trying to look. Right now, here in my living room, these paintings belong to me.

I realize that rather than just being a delivery method for crystal clear sporting events, this TV lets me see the whole world with the same clarity. Plus, it is pretty kick ass for playing the video games.

No comments: