Sunday, October 22, 2006

Good thing my gun was not properly calibrated

Last night was another rollicking good time. It started earlier than our normal weekend parties and actually commenced with an actual meal together. Normally, we skip those niceties and go straight for the drinking. I only had two patron margaritas, which were tasty and good with my tacos. Some others, like Dave, had much, much more to drink. The 8 of us, though, had a good time playing DOA, Tekken, Guitar Hero and Mission Confidential.

This same group of people was gathered back in April for Ethan's first birthday and we had a conversation about asians being good at math. Liem, John, Anna, and Andrea, all Asian, asked about us whiteys and what we were good at. I remarked that I "excel at imperialism." This remark received a pretty good chuckle. Today, while reading a few more pages in "The People's History of the United States," I came across a quote from political scientist John Burgess (1844-1931) that actually states that whites were "particularly endowed with the capacity for establishing national states...the are entrusted with the mission of conducting the political civilization of the modern world."

I was shocked to find something I said with equal parts sarcasm, wit, and liberal guilt was actually someone's belief system. Three cheers for western expansion.

No comments: