Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A first casualty

This entry is actually for weeks three and four. I cooked the turnips late last week and decided to rock my parsnips tonight. I'm getting the root vegetables out of the way while it's cold enough to roast and broil and make soup. I will save the daikon and watercress for warmer weather.

Both weeks I dragged out a different ignored kitchen gadget. Last week I used the mandolin to slice up the turnips for the gratin. It made very quick work of turnips. Sadly, the vegetable peeler made quick work of the middle finger of my right hand, my soda-can-opening finger, and I'm working sans nail for a while. I worry I may always harbor a deep, subconscious resentment of turnips, treating them worst of all the root vegetables.



On the other hand, I love parsnips. I used a very good recipe for cream of parsnip soup. This recipe called for an immersion blender which I happen to have. Glad I bought all this crap and never used it.



In other news, while I am trying to eat more vegetables, my dogs are trying to get more squirrel in their diets. On Saturday, I went to feed them and Jean-Pierre was nowhere to be found. I have never had to call him more than twice for dinner, so I was worried he was into mischief. I found him patiently waiting out a squirrel in the tree. He came over once to see what I was doing but made his way back to the tree to resume his watch.





No comments: