Saturday, March 07, 2009

Me and French 2: A complicated history

I’ve had a strange relationship with French. I love the language. I like the culture. I start over a lot with studying French. I have taken French 1 three times. Once in high school and twice in college. Both tries in college, I took French 1 again because I was worried that I had forgotten too much to jump right into French 2. It never occurred to me to take a placement test or talk to someone in the department. I just kept taking French 1 over and over again. This means that I have a fantastic command of the alphabet, the numbers, items found in a classroom, and items found in a restaurant. As long as things stay present tense, I’m golden.

To graduate from college, I have to have a two semester proficiency: French 2 we meet again. I signed up for it last semester and then dropped it; I couldn’t hack the schedule. I spent all of winter break looking for an online French 2 course that would satisfy my graduation requirements. I found one, but it was going to cost $1400 out of my pocket. Sigh. I had contemplated testing out, but I lacked the confidence to believe I could do it, that I knew enough.

I made a deal with myself last week. If I passed the test, saving myself $1400, I could keep the purse I bought in New York. If I failed, bye-bye purse. I decided to take the test this morning and get it out of the way.

I get to keep the purse.

No comments: