Tuesday, September 16, 2008

three sets of keys, none of them work

Vacation was…stressful. My recommendation for anyone considering going to Alaska is to just go to Alaska. Skip the cruise. Really, should you pay for the privilege of motion sickness, bad food, a twin bed, and doddering old people with entitlement issues? I don’t think so. That said, actual Alaska was amazing. We saw the Mendenhall Glacier and got in about a 1-mile hike in Tongass National Rainforest. That was beautiful. It reminded me of Stephen Colbert’s White House Press Correspondents Dinner performance (the infamous one), where he tells a glacier joke and follows it with, “Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is.”

Now, I am home and have no interest in doing anything. At all. I just want to stay in bed all day and read, and when the reading gets too taxing, I will sleep, and if I don’t feel like sleeping, I will just stare at the ceiling and empty my head of any thoughts.

I’m sorry. Soon I will get my pep back, and I will write lots of interesting things. Instead, I invite you to view some pictures from my vacation.

The lobby art at the Hotel Max in Seattle


Sea, clouds, then mountains


The Glacier


My cool mining train picture


A different glacier, from the boat

No comments: