Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Clean up on channel 4

I'll just start this post by saying, "youtube, you let me down."

I was trying to find a link to a Wal-mart commercial that has been bugging me, but oh well. There is a new Wal-mart commercial that opens with a frustrated woman standing at the gas pump. She is frowning in concern. "But what am I going to do about gas prices?" Then, they cut to several other earnest looking, hardworking Americans who talk about how now, more than ever, money is tight. These anypeople then go on to say that "paying too much for the stuff I use everyday, that's just crazy."

Which is Wal-Mart's way of indoctrinating the American people into dismissing the power of the activist dollar. It makes me so angry that Wal-Mart is essentially branding anyone who actively chooses to spend money at places other than Wal-Mart as foolish or crazy. I haven't set foot inside a Wal-Mart for more than 4 years (not counting the time I was an accomplice to a tennis racket purchase). Yes, if I shopped there, I could save money, but I prefer to spend my money in less evil places, and I want Wal-Mart to know that I do that. It's kind of a silly campaign, since the people who are boycotting Wal-Mart aren't going to be tricked into being a consumer at Wal-Mart, but it still makes me angry. How dare you, Wal-Mart. Don't you turn this around and make it about me. I may be crazy, but it isn't because I pay an extra $0.32 for canned tomatoes.

No comments: