Monday, August 13, 2007

in arenas other than food preparation

To me and most slightly techie people, ping refers to a utility used to test latency between two computers. To slightly douchey salespeople and project managers, it has become the hot new buzzword. It replaces paradigm shift as the phrase most likely to make me want to punch people in the face. Here is an example of its new usage.

Jim: Did you get those new sales figures in yet?
John: No, I'm still waiting for the raw data from Mike.
Jim: Okay, well if you need help with that, ping Joe and he can help.

Mary: What time is the meeting?
Jane: I don't know. I don't have the message handy.
Mary: Ping me with that when you get back to your desk. Thanks.

Every time I hear this phrase I just want to stab someone.

Over and out.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh my god...