Saturday, July 14, 2007

Jeremy's Iron

Wow, there is a circle of life, and it does move us all.

1. I am researching topics for my argumentation and logic class. I choose the bookstore model, since I want to be a librarian someday and intend to use my undergraduate degree as a way of preparing for graduate studies.

2. I find an article about Gilbert, Arizona abandoning the dewey decimal system.

3. I visit Leslie's blog, where she happens to be writing about bookstores and cataloging. I post a link to the article to see how she feels about this whole dropping dewey thing.

4. Leslie writes a great piece about the need for cataloging in a library, mentioning the article I sent her.

5. The New York Times writes about the Gilbert, Arizona library and its decision to get rid of cataloging altogether. They mention Leslie's blog. But the attraction is hardly universal. On Web sites where librarians frequently post, the abandonment of Dewey has not been welcome. One blogger titled her entry “Heresy!

6. Leslie sends out an email alerting everyone to the good news.

7. I read the article and toast to Leslie's success.

8. I find a logical fallacy to use for my second paper for my argumentation and logic class in the NYT article.

And, lo, the world makes sense again.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I love this sort of thing, the world tied together in one neat bow. Thanks for the toast! I hope your paper goes/went well -- what was the fallacy?

On another note, I'm listening to my online radio thingy, and the first song on this morning is Fountains of Wayne's "Utopia Parkway," which is a cute little song. And it is a real street, and where Joseph Cornell lived. I think anyone growing up on a street with such a name is destined for creative fame. Unless it's so-named in a place like Colorado Springs.

Your Glenwood picture was incredible, too!