Tuesday, July 10, 2007

How loose is your goose? Our goose is totally loose

I am making my way back through my Nancy Drew Case Files collection. It is the perfect reading distraction for the summer semester. Each book takes about 90 minutes to read and is so predictable and silly, I know I don't run the risk of becoming completely engrossed and missing a whole bunch of assignments.

Right now, I am reading case file #8--Two Points to Murder. This book is about basketball. I know this because there is an illustration on the cover of a dummy hanged from a basketball hoop, and because the book is called Two Points to Murder.

The last time I read this book, I was at the age where it seemed like a great idea to stamp all my books with both my kitty and my rainbow stamp and then tattoo it with my inelegant, 5th grade signature. It is a safe assumption that I knew far less about the game of basketball than I do now. I was Keene (if you'll pardon the pun) to see how well the ghostwriter of this book had gotten it. It started well, as the book specifically thanks two males for their technical assistance. Unless the book turns out to be about nuclear submarines, I was to assume their expertise was in general basketball knowledge. I was wrong.

1. "If they win their last three games, they'll grab their division title and go to the NCAA playoffs!" I don't know much about Emerson college, but it must play in a pretty serious conference if a team has to win a division title before it can win its conference title. The only other divisions in college basketball are Divisions 1,2,and 3. If you win that division, you are the national champion, regardless of the outcome of this NCAA playoff as they call it.

2. NCAA Playoff? Wha? Everyone and their mom knows it is referred to as the NCAA tournament or the dance. It isn't a playoff. Stupid dummies.

3. What exactly does the title mean? Two points to murder. It doesn't make any sense. For most of my life, I thought the title was Two Points FOR Murder, implying that killing someone earns you two points. Even that, though, doesn't make sense. I think killing someone is just as hard as draining one from the top of the key or even half-court. If the meaning of the title is to award points, I think killing someone should earn three points. It seems like a better trade-off.

Pointless. And now, off to the Harry Potter movie.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

All I can think about is Emerson College -- I had a friend who went there for a year, and I never knew how she would have ever heard about this little school in Boston, but now I get it... Good old Nancy.

And 5th grade signatures. Mine reached its peak elegance in about 9th grade, and has been deteriorating since. To the point that my sister makes fun of its loopiness and wonders when I "made that up" (hers is jagged). I never got As in handwriting.

Nacho Enthusiast said...

I didn't even know that Emerson was a real college until I read your comment. Which is strange, since it is the alma mater of Gina Gershon. I would have thought 7 years of girl crush would have dug up that little bit of trivia.

This calls into question all the nights that Ned drove from Emerson (outside Boston) to help Nancy in River Heights (outside Chicago). I find it unlikely that he is really the student or athlete we are led to believe.

My signature now looks like a series of interlocked concentric circles. People actually stare when I sign my name, like I lanced my finger and signed in blood. Weirdos.