Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Minimalism is the new black

It's been one of those weeks for like the last 3 months. Every time I approach something close to stasis at work, something completely disruptive happens and everything changes. I'd like to say it keeps me on my toes, but that sounds like exercise, and I know that isn't true. The good news is that if we keep growing at this pace, I will probably be some executive type person, wearing tailored suits and talking of paradigm shifts. The bad news is that if we keep growing at this rate I will probably go mad long before a promotion that would require tailored suits. In my business writing class we are working on resumes and cover letters, right now. I joke with myself that I am any position to start a new job now. I also joke with myself that my job is really all that bad. I need to suck it up.

I did laundry tonight. I even put everything away. I'm quite proud of myself for that. I have many bad habits when it comes to laundry: I leave things in the washer, I leave things in the dryer, I throw clean clothes back on the floor, I lose socks and an alarming rate, I fold towels and never put them away. The latter has become a real issue for me. I wash the towels and fold the towels and then I deposit them on the side of my bed, never putting them away, until every clean towel in the house, be it hand, bath, beach, or kitchen, is in my room. I thought confessing this would inspire me to go put the damned towels away, but it didn't. I'm super lazy, and we have a lot of towels.

Maybe not for long though? Villi and I are spearheading a group yard/bake sale to take place on July 7th and 8th. We are using this opportunity to weed out all of the crap in our lives (hello bratz dolls) and maybe make enough money for a few lottery tickets? I'm looking forward to tackling my inner pack rat. I even stopped doing homework tonight to plan for the yard sale instead.

I didn't get any homework done at work today because I spent most of the day at work reading about Monica Emmerson, the woman who was detained at Reagan International airport a week ago for dumping the contents of her child's sippy cup on the floor. Initially, this woman released a statement that she was illegally detained by TSA authorities and that her rights were violated. She indicated that she didn't dump water on the floor, merely that the some spilled when she opened the cup. Then, the TSA released security videos that refute all of the woman's claims and basically capture her throwing a tantrum. Additionally, I guess she is former Secret Service, and she tried to use her expired credentials to claim that she was above the law and security screening. I spent all afternoon fuming about the nerve of this woman. I am continually impressed by the sheer number of people that think they are special. You see them on the roads, roaring by a line of traffic only to cut over at the last second, or at stores, cutting a head of other waiting customers, or, apparently, in airports dumping water all over the ground like some sort of petulant five year old. The behavior is self-sustaining, since most people just let them get away with it. I was glad that this woman has become a public spectacle because she lied about her obnoxious behavior and got caught on tape. Just like Marge Simpson says "You know, the courts might not work any more, but as long as everybody is videotaping everyone else, justice will be done."

No comments: