Tuesday, April 24, 2007

You are off the fucking chain

We (some folks from work) went to see Hot Fuzz last night. Although a little stung by the $9.50 price tag, I did sneak in a pepsi and some island crunch trail mix, so the evening cost me less than $10. The movie was very funny with little nods to some of the best lines and scenes from Shaun of the Dead. A note to the makers of Pirates of the Caribbean: that is how you shout out to your first film without shitting all over the second. I’m a huge fan of mainstream British cinema, and this film delivered. It started a little slow but in a very forgivable we’re-just-laying-out-the-backstory way. The last 40 minutes of the movie are cinematic gold, but I could be biased, since the movie pays tribute to Point Break, my favorite cop movie of all time. At one point in the movie, when yelling about how un-ridiculous a completely ridiculous plot twist actually is, I got to thinking about how highly implausible Point Break actually is. Don’t fret, though, it only raised my admiration of the movie and cast even more. If you can make a good movie about bank-robbing surfers and the undercover FBI agent sent to apprehend them, then you have something to be proud of.

In other news – it is fucking snowing again.

No comments: